Please contact the REACT North-East Europe-office for more information about our services in Latvia:
In 2004 REACT started its activities in Latvia. In 2006 we merged all activities in the Baltic States and coordination and management is now done from the REACT North East Europe regional office. Simplified procedure as well as administrative procedure is applicable in Latvia, which means that through quick settlements cases can be resolved easily and infringer is also imposed an administrative fine. For storage and destruction of goods, the enforcement authorities often request the support from rights owners. REACT is supporting its Members in this respect. Police actions in Latvia is common practice and and seizures in the internal market are handled through criminal or administrative proceedings.
Our services in Latvia
- Amicable settlements and/or negotiation settlement following Customs actions
- Appearing in court hearings in criminal proceedings as witnesses or experts
- Attending personal hearing
- Desk research
- Drafting and filing of administrative complaints
- Drafting and filing of criminal complaints
- Drafting and filing of expert reports, affidavits and written witness statements
- Filing a demand for a raid
- Filing Customs applications
- Follow up Customs/Police cases (C&D letters, negotiations, settlement drafting)
- Handling court proceedings (appeals and civil claims)
- Informing Customs officers on brand details
- Organize and assist the police and relevant authorities in market raids
- Organize inspections and investigations of markets, shops and events
- Organize test purchases
- Organizing the transportation, storage, destruction and, wherever possible, the recycling of counterfeit products
- Organizing training sessions and information meetings for Police, Customs and/or Trade Inspection authorities
- Preparing and submitting civil actions (including C&D letters)
- Simplified procedure
- Customs application procedure is available and mandatory, however Latvian customs also prove to be effective with ex-officio seizures
- Customs application is valid for the period of 1 year with the option to renew every year.
Simplified procedure is in place and very effective
- In addition to simplified procedure, also an administrative procedure can be started.
- Rights holder must respond to the customs notification within 10 business days. In case of explicit objection of the importer to the simplified procedure, there is an option to initiate an administrative case with the customs.
Criminal procedure is appled in cases of sales of counterfeit goods in the internal market.
Under crimnal or administrative procedure, counterfeit goods are always destroyed and the sanction (penalty) is imposed on infringer